St. Nicholas church in Mozyr


An ethnic museum ‘Paleskaya Veda’ regularly holds exhibitions of its stock. The exhibition A Paunchy Samovar.

 
gomel loev rechitsa yurovichi mozir turov red_coast chechersk vetka info
Mozyr is one of the oldest Belarusian towns.

One of the settlements found on the territory of the town dates back to the 8th -11th centuries. The settlement was situated at the place of a former village Kimbarovka (at present – a district around the Mozyr furniture factory), on the right bank of the River Priiat. The excavations discovered remains of ancient palisade, bronze jewelry, knives, arrow-heads, nails, buckles, etc. The excavators unearthed a half of dirham – ancient Arab silver coin. The settlement grew up at the place of a more ancient one established as early as in the Bronze Age.

There are two theories suggesting the origin of the town’s name ‘Mozyr’. One of them runs that the town received its name from an ethnic group called ‘mazur’. The other theory pins the town’s name to a term ‘mosyr’, which means ‘moisture’ (the town lies among the lakes, which form the flood-lands of the Pripiat).

The written sources first mention Mozyr in 1155, when prince of Kiev Yuri Dolgorukiy granted the town to prince of Chernigov Sviatoslav Olgovich as a gratitude for assistance. In various periods Mozyr formed a part of Kiev, Chernigov and Turov principalities, since the middle of the 14th century – of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and since 1569 – of Rzecz Pospolita. Trade and crafts were common activities in Mozyr while it was a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. At the time the town had a status of a ‘gospodar’s town’. The term suggested that Mozyr belonged to the state rather than to a private landowner.

In 1577 Mozyr was granted the Magdeburg Law.

The fire in the beginning of the 17th century destroyed the Mozyr castle and a part of the town. Because of the fire in 1609-1613 certain resolutions were adopted involving the town-dwellers in efforts to rebuild the castle and squares of Mozyr.

After the second division of Rzecz Pospolita (1793) Mozyr was included into the Russian Empire as a district town of the Minsk province. In February-December 1918 the town was occupied by the troops of the Keiser’s Germany. From March 5 till June 29, 1920 the Polish troops held possession of the town. During the Great Patriotic War, from August 22, 1941 till January 14, 1944, the Nazis ruled in Mozyr.

  Curious facts... Mozyr endured plundering raids of the Crimea Tatars in 1497, 1521, and in 1534. During the incursions Mozyr gave birth to local heroes, who were glorified in traditional songs. A brave Greek called Bazar was one of such heroes. He defeated the Tatars several times and king Sigizmund in reward for his feats granted him an estate Ipogor near Mozyr. In two years the Tatars captured Bazar to kill him. As a result another brave warrior Demiana Lenka took possession of the estate. The Tatars carried out several raids on Mozyr and in 1534 burned the town down and killed all its dwellers.  
 
     

Development, informational and technical support: BELTA, 2006