Boris and Gleb cemetery


Monument to Cyril of Turov erected in May 1993.

 
gomel loev rechitsa yurovichi mozir turov red_coast chechersk vetka info

The town of Turov was founded on the territory inhabited by the ancient Slav tribe Drygovichy on the bank of the River Pripiat. In ancient times the Turov Principality included Slutsk, Nesvezh and Pinsk. The town was first mentioned in the Ipatiy list (ancient chronicles) in 980. Quite a few scholars consider that in the 9th-11th centuries Turov was the second important town after Kiev in the Ancient Rus.

On the territory of the Turov downtown the archeological dig found ruins of a 12th century temple, a unique specimen of stone architecture. The temple was destroyed in the 13th century by most likely an earthquake.

The Turov eparchy was founded in 1005. The parchment Gospel dating back to the 10th century or to be precise its 10 pages found in the Turov Church of Transfiguration of Christ in 1866 are testifiers of the then flourishing Christianity in Turov.

In the late 13th - early 14th centuries Turov became part of the Great Duchy of Lithuania. In the 14th century, according to several sources, Turov had about 80 churches, including Sts. Boris and Gleb Monastery.

In the 19th century Turov was a center of a volost. According to the 1897 data, it had 4,290 residents. Two times a year various fairs were organized in the town.

At the exit from the town there is an ancient Boris and Gleb cemetery were a stone cross started emerging from the underground in our days. The legends say that the cross is wonderworking, as it is allegedly located in the place Cyril of Turov was buried.

The National Park Pripiatskiy is the only place in the world to have preserved primeval flood plain oak forests. It occupies the territory of 83,000 hectares and has 30 lakes. The park is inhabited by aurochs, wild boars, elks, deer, lynxes, wolves, badgers, and beavers. Its water reservoirs give home to catfish, pikeperch and even sterlet. Among the birds there are such rare species as black storks, eagle owls, cranes, etc. There are walking and bicycle routes to the Tsar of Oaks and aurochs nursery.

The state landscape and hydrologic reserve was founded in 1969 partially of the territory of the Zhitkovichi, Petrikovichi and Lelchitsy regions of Gomel oblast. In 1994 it was transferred under the jurisdiction of the Presidential Property Management Department and in 1996 it was transformed into the National Park.

The territory of the National Park Pripiatskiy stretches from West to East for 64km and from North to South – for 27km. It is a vast plain in the south of the Pripiat Polesie consisting of the Pripiat water meadows and terraces merging into a fluvio-glacial plain. The climate is mild with moderate summers and snowy winters.

  Curious facts...

According to a legend, in ancient times Turov had 75 churches for what it was called the second Jerusalem.

In the 11th and 12th centuries the Turov eparchy used to be located in the place now occupied by the Boris and Gleb cemetery not far from the Castle Tower, therefore many tombstones are dating back to those times. The stone cross, which started emerging from the underground in the center of the cemetery not long ago, is of a regular shape. It is considered to augur something, though it has not yet been clear what precisely. Nevertheless, one thing is for sure – the cross is growing both lengthwise and in width by 1 centimeter and 9 millimeters a year. Now it is over 40 centimeters high and one can clearly see its crossbar.

Another legend says that the cross in the Boris and Gleb cemetery is one of the three crosses that had drifted first by the Dnepr then by the Pripiat from Kiev after the Baptism of the Ancient Rus. Two crosses preserved until these days and are now kept in the wooden All Saints’ Church. It is noteworthy, that the three crosses were made of stone and had drifted against the current. This is a strange and mysterious story like the history of Turov itself.

 
 
     

Development, informational and technical support: BELTA, 2006